WHO ARE WE?
St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church is an active parish of approximately 5,000 families. We are located in Manteca California, in the Central Valley of California.
As a Parish community, we give ourselves to Christ as He gives Himself to us in the Eucharist, so every person might be a full, active, and conscious participant in His Church, empowered to share and live the Gospel.
WHERE WE BEGAN
Our First Church
In late 1914, it is believed that $4,000 was raised to build a permanent church in Manteca. At that time, the church owned three lots that were part of the Cowell tract. The property on E. Yosemite Ave and Sherman St. was chosen as the site of the first church and parish house. The church, one of the prettiest little structures in the San Joaquin Valley, had seating for three hundred people.
Our Second Church
Our 44 year old historic church was destroyed by fire. On February 23, 1961, the permit was issued for the construction of the new church and rectory at the northwest corner of North St. and Fremont Ave. Monsignor William Burke officiated the Ground-Breaking Ceremonies on April 30, 1961.
A GROWING PARISH
St. Anthony’s Catholic Church is continuing to serve the needs of our Parish community as the size of Manteca grows through ministries, opportunities to learn our faith, and engaging our youth in church activities.
St. Anthony’s has thirty-five ministries and continues to grow to support the people of our community. Since our doors opened, we have had 12,361 Catholics received their first communion and 8,943 people were confirmed into Catholicism at St. Anthony’s. Forty of which were from this past Easter Vigil.